Thursday, November 11, 2010

Composition #4 - revision 2

Life is too short just to live it just for you

It Takes Two to Make Right is a song from the 80’s that summarizes my idea of love relationships. As the song says we need two people to make a relationship, but to make it right is the hardest part because finding the ideal partner is not easy as find the perfect bag to match with our favorite dress. So that’s why we have to keep trying during our whole life until we find not the perfect partner, but the one that will make us happy even with all his flaws. All the good and bad experiences help us to learn about ourselves and what we want in a partner. Just like any other person, I have had happy and some sad relationships that have helped me to understand what is good for me, but also appreciate small moments; life is a combination of special moments and different experiences. My last relationship taught me a lot about self-respect. Even though, we were together for only one year, I think it was enough for me to see how wrong I was about him in many different aspects.

First, we met through my aunt who set us up on a blind date. Everything went well on our first night out. We talked about different subjects during our delicious dinner, and I have to confess I was impressed that we had so many preferences in common. After this night, we started spending more time together doing simple things, like going to the movies, picking up groceries at the local market and even laundry. I might say it was love at first sight because I think we really connected.

The following months I met some of his friends and his two brothers; including his identical twin brother. He also met some of my friends, but we were still very reserved about making the relationship public; I think it was more because of his family. Even though, I am not a religious person, it was still a delicate subject because his family was Muslim and very traditional. I should have expected that our relationship wouldn’t be easy, especially when a family has a very strong beliefs and values. My family believes if I am happy it doesn’t matter with whom or weather he has a different religion, nationality or race. However, for him, his family still had strong influences on his choices.

He started getting very busy with work and friends. There was always something happening to mess up our plans, so I noticed I wasn’t a priority in his life. Constantly, he was disappointing me or making me wait for hours without a call. Consequently, I started feeling angry, sad and lonely. Then we stopped spending time together because of our busy schedules.

During the last month I was feeling miserable, not eating or sleeping. Plus I was in a bad mood almost every day. I was disappointed because we had had such a good start. He was very romantic and loving, always saying how great and beautiful I was. Plus, he was already planning our future with children and everything else. Now, I think he was just saying it without really meaning it.

I think he noticed how unhappy I was. So one day, we sat down to talk and we decided that I would be better off with another person; someone who would make me a priority. He never physically hurt me or raised his voice, but because he was very quiet during the last months, I think it hurt me more. His silence was making me think I was the one doing something wrong and he didn’t want to be with me.

This last relationship made me realize that I need to believe more in myself; self-respect is very important. Even though, I knew I deserved someone better I didn’t want to believe that it was happening; probably, because I thought I wouldn’t have the strength to let him go and move on. Life is too short, we cannot live in the past, so instead we should take all the experiences we have been through and add to our life baggage. Then at the end of our life, when we are very old, we can look to all of these and just smile without regret the bad relationships. Although, we didn’t end up together I think being with him was a good experience, and I will always remember the happy moments we had.

No comments:

Post a Comment