Sunday, November 28, 2010

Response to Griet

The Slap in the Face

First love is always confusing because we are not really sure what to do. We think it is love, but when we grow up and look to the past we see it was just a little crush. However, we will always remember as our first love, even if we never had a chance to tell the other person what we were feeling. I wouldn’t say Griet is in love, but she has a deep crush on Vermeer. Very deep inside she knows there is a small chance for her to be with him, but Griet has hope so I think that’s why she tells Pieter she is too young to get married. Being her friend and an outsider, I can see better what is happening and give her a clear advice; which I think Pieter would be the best choice for her.

I think if Griet had stayed with her family, she wouldn’t have the hesitation of getting married to Pieter. Once Griet had the opportunity to see how interesting it is being with an artist and how life can be easier when we have money, she got attracted to this new and amusing life. My friend, Griet, is a dreamer. So Pieter would be perfect match because he is the anchor that brings her back to reality. Her family is not wealthy, but Pieter has a stall at the Meat Hall, so he can provide a better life for her and also her family; not as the fancy life Vermeer has, but a descent and honest life. So when he told her that her family needs him, she got offended with his comment, but she knows with Pieter she has a better chance to be happy.

I tried so many times to convince Griet that she is just another beautiful young girl for Vermeer and he would never leave his family to be with her. She keeps telling me that she is not interested on him, but I can tell by the way she talks about him that it is not true. It is hard for me to see my friend in this situation because Pieter will not wait for her forever. He is a nice man and seems to be honest, so I hope Griet can see him as her prince charming.

Even thought, it was a terrible situation I was really glad to know that Catharina figured out about Griet’s painting. My friend needed a slap in the face to wake her up from this dream, but it had to come from Vermeer. After seeing in Vermeer’s eyes regret, when Catharina tried to destroy the painting, she knew that life wasn’t for her; it was the slap in the face that made her wake up. When she told me what had happened I just gave her a big hug and told her to look for Pieter.

Probably, I wasn’t the best friend because I should have been stronger in my approach convincing Griet she was making a big mistake in having expectations about Vermeer. However, sometimes what we need it is just a support from a friend, even though if we don’t agree with our friend’s choices. Love is always a complicated subject and there is not a single and right answer. Sometimes we know our feelings take over of our thinking, but everything including mistakes is valid as a life experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment